The SmartAgriFood project is part of the Future Internet Public-Private Partnership (FI-PPP) program and addresses farming, agri-logistics and food awareness as a use case for this. The intelligence, efficiency, sustainability and performance of the agri-food sector can be radically enhanced by using information & decision support systems that are tightly integrated with advanced internet-based networks & services. Concurrently, the sector provides use cases for Future Internet design from physical layer all the way up to the service layer.
This project focuses on three sub systems of the sector:
- smart farming, focussing on sensors and traceability;
- smart agri-logistics, focusing on real-time virtualisation, connectivity and logistics intelligence;
- smart food awareness, focussing on transparency of data and knowledge representation.
Using a user-centred methodology, the use case specification will be developed with a particular focus on transparency and interoperability of data and knowledge across the food supply chain.
Project results will include:
- Use Case descriptions for smart farming, including sophisticated and robust broadband sensing and monitoring of animals and plants;
- Use Case descriptions for smart agri-logistics, including intelligent transport and real-time logistics of agri-food products;
- Use Case descriptions of smart food awareness, focussing enabling the consumer with information concerning safety, health, environmental impact and animal welfare;
- Identification of generic requirements for generic enablers;
- Extensive community and user organisation involvement both in requirements gathering, pilot demonstration and evaluation;
- Specification of interfaces and functionalities for integration to Core Platform (see FI-Ware project);
- Significant contributions to standardisation and regulatory bodies in Europe.
Key features of SmartAgriFood concepts will be demonstrated and verified by simulations and experimental systems within this project and by large scale demonstration in Phase II that starts after two years.
- Project acronym & number:
- SmartAgriFood – 285 326
- Project title
- Smart Food and Agribusiness: Future Internet for Safe and Healthy Food from Farm to Fork
- EU Funding scheme:
- Collaborative Project - Large-scale Integrated Project (IP)
- Start date of the project:
- 24 months
- EC contribution